So it is about a month after Rice's birthday and I am just now sitting down to write his birthday letter. Life has been hectic, our house has been remodeled and we finally have a mostly working computer set up instead of just ipads. I write these each year in hopes of doing something with them when my kids are older and because I love looking back and rereading them.
Dear Rice,
This past year I look at you and I see how grown up you are. You have shed the 'little' boy look. I catch glimpses of the little boy and I remember how far you have come, how much you have changed, and how quickly you will continue to grow.
You amaze me. You can read pretty much anything you want. You can add huge numbers in your head. You really understand how math works and what it can be used for. You love to write emails to people but you love to get emails even more. You love your friends, your teachers and your school. I love dropping you off because you always say "I love you" and you sometimes will give me a kiss. I love picking you up from school because I get to see you with your friends.
You love sports. All sports. Your interests change as you play different sports but you love learning about different teams, different sport positions, and how to get better. You love football cards. They are above you under the top bunk so you can look at them. You read them. You organize them. You talk about the different positions and which one you would like to be. You beg to play football. You have worked really hard at soccer this winter and have improved so much. I love to see your enthusiasm and your confidence.
You are a gentle big brother. You know when you want to play and be surrounded by your brother and your sister and when you need a little time to yourself. You know when to be gentle and when to play a little more rough with them. You look out for Oliver. You let Hadley play basketball with you even though you know her chances of making a basket are slim.
My favorite time of all is when you ask me to lay with you at night. You tell me things you wouldn't at any other time. And you snuggle. You snuggle so much that sometimes you are laying right on top of me.
I want you to know how much you are loved and how much I admire the choices you have made so far in your life. You know some of the most important life lessons already at age 7: you know to work hard and that hard work is hardly ever easy. I want you to not worry about what others think of you. When you think we are laughing at you, laugh with us. Laughter is the best medicine. Most of all, I want you to know that you have taught me how to love and how to be a better person.
Mommy
No comments:
Post a Comment